Tuesday, December 30, 2008

This Time It's Personal

I have never been very good at keeping a journal.

I've tried many times (and I've got storage bins full of partially-used journals to prove it), but I've never been consistent. So, I'm giving up on the idea of a journal that records my day-to-day activities and I'm focusing on writing a personal history.

In my mind a journal always seemed more like an accounting of where my time went that day, rather than focusing on the funny, interesting, sad, thought-provoking, or otherwise note-worthy details. Because I have had that mindset, my journal entries tend(ed) to lean towards the dry and boring side of things. (i.e., I did this, then I went there, then I hung out with so-and-so, then I came home and went to bed. Nothing about the emotions I felt, things I saw, or the little details of the day. How boring am I???)

But a personal history... Wow. It sounds so much more intriguing, don't you think? It instantly evokes different images in my mind--images that are much more personal, lively, and warm. A personal history is also meant to be shared with others, so it immediately gives me an audience to address, which helps me recognize that I'm telling a story, not just documenting the logistics of my life.

I hope you will join me as I begin this project. I think it will be a lot of fun!

Please Note:I am not a professional writer, personal historian, geneology buff, or otherwise considered an expert on personal histories, writing, biographies, or any related topics. This is purely for my own development as a person, so I hope you'll give me some leeway in that regard.

No comments: